Summer Reading Lists
We’re always at our happiest when dogs are involved, especially when it comes to our reading material! Over the years, we’ve shared several of our favorite books featuring dogs. We’ve put together lists of great books for Christmas, top resources, excellent beach reads, and our favorite classics like Where the Red Fern Grows and White Fang. This week, we want to encourage kids – and those who are young at heart! – to start putting together their summer reading lists with a few more favorites from our bookshelf.
- A Dog Wearing Shoes. In this charming and heartfelt tale by Sangmi Ko, a young girl named Mini finds a small dog with no collar wearing bright yellow booties.
- Because of Winn-Dixie. Ten-year-old Opal’s summer completely changes one day when she goes to the grocery store and comes home with a dog in this tale by beloved storyteller Kate DiCamillo.
- Good Boy, Fergus!. David Shannon’s naughty but lovable dog Fergus will make pre-school readers laugh out loud over his sweet and silly antics.
- Where’s Spot?. This classic board book by Eric Hill is the perfect way to introduce pre-schoolers to puppy love.
- Henry Huggins. There’s no end to the shenanigans that Henry and his dog Ribsy get up to in this timeless classic by Beverly Cleary.
BONUS: Clifford the Big Red Dog. This classic by Norman Bridwell from 1963 featuring Emily Elizabeth and her big red dog Clifford launched a series that has been loved by generations. Introduce the young reader in your life to the biggest, reddest dog on the street.
What books featuring dogs do you love?