10 Fun Dog Facts
It’s National Pet Day! To celebrate, we wanted to share some fun facts about our favorite four-legged friends: dogs!
- There are approximately 78.2 million pet dogs living in the United States today.
- In addition to the special membrane in their eye, a dog’s whiskers help them see in the dark by picking up changes in air currents.
- Depending on its breed, a dog’s sense of smell is 10,000 to 100,000 times better than a human’s (some dog experts claim it is actually in the millions).
- Dogs can smell feelings, certain diseases, and detect pregnancy.
- Three dogs survived the sinking of the Titanic – all were lap dogs.
- 72% of dog owners think their dogs know when stormy weather is coming.
- Dogs have three eyelids to protect their eyes.
- More than a dozen separate muscles control a dog’s ear movements.
- It’s a myth that dogs only see in black and white.
- Dogs have approximately 1,700 taste buds compared to humans who have around 9,000.
What are some of your favorite facts about dogs?