A Day for the Dogs
Valentine’s Day is almost here, and it’s time to celebrate the ones we love the most: Our dogs.
We all know how much our dogs love us, so why not return the favor? Just because you can’t shower your dog with flowers and heart-shaped candy doesn’t mean there aren’t sweet ways to show how much you care. These tips will have your dog feeling the love in no time.
- Say it Out Loud. There are few things that your dog loves more than the sound of your voice, so share it with them more often! Tell them how much they mean to you and then keep talking – even if you’re reading the latest updates in your Facebook feed, they’ll feel your love through the sound of your voice.
- Lean In. When your dog leans against you, they’re actually trying to tell you that they love and trust you. If you return the favor and lean back, they’ll know that you’re sending them the same message in return.
- Gentle Eye Contact. While intense eye contact can be seen as aggressive in the dog world, lingering gazes between you and your dog can boost the “love chemical” oxytocin in both of you. It’s true what they say – sometimes there’s no need for words.
- Snuggle Up. It turns out that sleeping with your dog isn’t a bad thing after all! Curling up with your dog for a snooze can release oxytocin in both you and your dog. As an added bonus, it also strengthens your bond. If sharing your bed isn’t in the cards, a nap on the couch works too!
- Take a Walk. Even a short walk around the block with your dog shows them how much you love them. Regular walks with your dog build trust, communication, and provide valuable bonding experiences. Spending quality time with your dog is one of the easiest ways to show them how much you care.
If you want to up the ante, show your dog you love them with a batch of wholesome homemade Valentine’s Day dog treats! Dig out your heart-shaped cookie cutters and follow this quick and simple recipe .
Tell us how you show your dog you love them in the comments below!