Top 5 Halloween Safety Tips for Your Dog
As much fun as Halloween is for people, it can be scary for the pets in our lives. To keep the celebration as positive as possible, here are our top five tips to keep your dog safe and happy during the Halloween festivities.
1) Candy is Not Dandy. Most people know that chocolate is toxic to dogs, but so is the artificial sweetener xylitol. To keep your pets safe, keep the candy out of reach and only give Fido dog treats to reward his tricks.
2) Dress for Success. If your dog loves wearing costumes, make sure it is safe and does not restrict his movement, sight or hearing. Or consider a Halloween-themed bandana instead!
3) ID Update. If visitors at the door or activity outside make your dog nervous, consider putting him in a safe, quiet space for the evening. In the event of an escape, however, having current identification tags will help ensure his quick return.
4) Deliberate Decorating. Holiday decorations can be very enticing, especially when you have puppies or avid chewers in the house. Keep electrical cords, decorative pumpkins and corn, Halloween plants, and other festive items out of reach to avoid risk.
5) Fire Hazards. Candles have a way of capturing the Halloween spirit, but they can be a bad combo with dogs. Keep lit candles away from wagging tails by avoiding low tables, and make sure surfaces are stable so candles won’t fall if bumped.
If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.