Is Obedience Training Beneficial?
Most agree that obedience training is a good thing, but is it really necessary? Thanks to the wide variety of classes and training options available, there are many benefits for dogs and owners alike. Here are just a few of the ways that training benefits your pack:
- Sets a Solid Foundation. Puppy classes are an important step in raising a healthy and well-socialized dog. These basic classes offer youngsters an opportunity to learn proper interaction skills, help prevent behavioral problems like barking and jumping up on people, offer puppies socialization, and provide owners with the basic information they need to help their dogs grow and develop.
- Builds a Healthier Relationship. Spending quality time with your dog can be frustrating when they don’t listen or lack good manners while walking on a leash. Working with your dog to establish a common language that includes basic commands like “sit,” “stay,” “come,” and “down,” in addition to leash manners, will ensure that the moments you spend together are filled with positive interactions instead of negativity.
- Increases Your Dog’s Safety. Making sure that your dog understands and responds to clear and basic commands can help in potentially dangerous situations. Knowing that your dog will come when you call her can keep her from running into the street if she gets loose. Having a dog that will “stay” can prevent her from bolting if the front door is opened.
- Curbs Problem Behavior. Dogs that exhibit aggression, barking, chasing their tails, jumping, or other “problem” behaviors often benefit the most from training. According to the ASPCA, “behavioral issues” is one of the most common reasons for an animal to be surrendered to a shelter.
- Creates Mental Challenges. “One thing a lot of people don’t realize,” says Gail Fisher, author of The Thinking Dog, “is that if a dog is awake, the dog is learning.” While some dogs enjoy training activities more than others, it is beneficial to all dogs to provide opportunities for both physical and mental stimulation.
Are you interested in learning how obedience training can benefit your dog? We offer a wide variety of training options for all ages and experience levels, contact us to discuss the best option for you and your best-friend today.