A Checklist for Dog Lovers
The return of spring fills the days with bright sunshine, warm breezes, and romping outdoors with your dog. Unfortunately, it also brings an ongoing battle against dirt, grime, muddy paws, and pests like fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes.
These checklists will have you ready to spring into the season!
To avoid dirt and mud getting tracked throughout your house, try the following:
- Protect paws from mud and dirt with booties.
- Keep paw hair trimmed short to reduce trapped debris.
- Have a container of warm water by the door to clean paws off before coming indoors.
Flea, Tick, and Heartworm Prevention
Prevention is the best strategy when it comes to fighting fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. Get ready:
- Apply regular flea and tick treatments like Frontline.
- Schedule your dog’s annual heartworm test and begin preventive medication.
- Dab lavender essential oil between your dog’s shoulder blades as an added flea and tick deterrent – not only will they smell great, the fragrance can be calming.
Additional Spring Cleaning Tips
Up the freshness factor for your dog, don’t forget to:
- Freshen up fabric collars by soaking them in hot water and dog shampoo for 15 minutes.
- Clean hard toys by soaking them in a solution of 50% water and 50% vinegar.
- Wash your dog’s food and water dish with soap or in the dishwasher.
- Keep soft toys germ-free by machine washing.
To ensure that your dog has a sound sleep this spring, remember to keep their bed clean and comfortable with regular washings.
How do you prepare for spring as a dog lover? Tell us in the comments below!